Advertisement
Categories: NewsWorld

Trump Claims 32,000 Killed in Iran Protests

Advertisement

President Trump addressed the Supreme Court’s ruling on tariffs in a recent news briefing and highlighted that 32,000 people had reportedly been killed during the ongoing protests in Iran—a figure far higher than previously reported. While not specifying his sources for these figures, he expressed concern about the situation by asserting that “the people of Iran are very different from their leaders,” describing it as a “very sad and tragic situation.”

The anti-government demonstrations in January raged until a government crackdown brought them to an end; many believe January 8 and 9 were among the bloodiest days since the current regime took power in 1979. However, internet blackouts have made it challenging to confirm the exact death toll.

Several sources, including one inside Iran, told CBS News that at least 12,000, with some suggesting as many as 20,000 people had been killed throughout the protests. An Iranian individual was able to communicate on a video call, recounting what sounded like a massacre of anti-government protesters in a public square. The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency reported more than 50,000 arrests.

Throughout these events, Mr. Trump has offered support for the people of Iran while also preparing military forces to exert pressure on their nuclear program. On Friday, he threatened Iranian leaders with immediate strikes if public executions continued, citing a previous threat that they would be “hit right then and there” should such actions occur.

Meanwhile, the president indicated his consideration for a limited military strike on the country earlier in the week, though top national security advisors have advised him that the military is ready to act by Saturday. Yet, sources suggest any possible strikes may not be scheduled until beyond this weekend’s timeframe.

In recent days, CBS News reported that Mr. Trump had not yet made his final decision about a potential military action and noted that top officials believe the military would be prepared to strike as soon as Saturday.

Advertisement
News Desk

Recent Posts

Avan Jogia Says Supporting Fiancée Halsey Has Made Production of 56 Days Easier

Avan Jogia has opened up about his partnership with fiancée Halsey, sharing candid insights into…

29 minutes ago

WASA Adds New Equipment for Rainy Season Operations

Following directives from WASA Managing Director Saqib Raza, the Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA) in…

35 minutes ago

Trump Responds to Supreme Court Ruling Against Tariffs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's attempt to wield sweeping tariffs under the 1977 International Emergency…

2 hours ago

Fog Closure Forces Traffic Delays on M3 Motorway

Heavy Fog Forces Closure of Lahore-Jaranwala Motorway In response to dense fog enveloping the M3…

2 hours ago

Taylor Swift brings little Jodie Turner-Smith’s daughter to ‘Opalite’ music video shoot

Jodie Turner-Smith recently shared her most memorable experience as an aerobics instructor in Taylor Swift's…

2 hours ago

Sikhs For Justice pledges $1bn to Trump’s Board of Peace for Punjab referendum

BREAKING: SFJ Pledges $1 Billion for Trump's Board of Peace in Khalistan In a striking…

2 hours ago