Advertisement
Categories: NewsWorld

Over 200 Dead in Catastrophic Coltan Mine Collapse in Congo

Advertisement

More than 200 people were killed this week when a coltan mine collapsed in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The Rubaya mine produces about 15% of the world’s coltan, a metal vital for electronics industries like mobile phones and computers. Since 2024, the site has been under control of the AFC/M23 rebel group.

The collapse occurred on Wednesday and the official death toll was still unclear as of Friday evening. Lumumba Kambere Muyisa, spokesperson for the rebel-appointed governor in the province where Rubaya is located, told Reuters that more than 200 people were killed, including miners, children, and market women. Some victims who managed to escape had serious injuries.

The adviser to the governor stated at least 227 confirmed deaths while speaking on condition of anonymity due to unauthorized media briefings. The mine’s collapse happened during a rainy season when the ground was particularly fragile, leading to the landslide.

UN officials allege that AFC/M23 has been plundering Rubaya for funds to support its insurgency, backed by Rwanda. However, Kigali denies this claim. The rebels recently captured additional mineral-rich areas in eastern Congo as part of their rapid offensive last year aimed at overthrowing Congolese government and protecting the Tutsi minority.

Advertisement
News Desk

Recent Posts

Hilary Duff’s Son Critiques Her New Album in Interview

Hilary Duff found herself under fire from her teenage son during a recent music project…

3 minutes ago

Sindhi nationalists accuse Sindh Governor of ethnic politics

Sindhi nationalist leaders have renewed their objections regarding Governor Kamran Tessori's handling of the Sindh…

9 minutes ago

Avan Jogia Says Supporting Fiancée Halsey Has Made Production of 56 Days Easier

Avan Jogia has opened up about his partnership with fiancée Halsey, sharing candid insights into…

2 hours ago

WASA Adds New Equipment for Rainy Season Operations

Following directives from WASA Managing Director Saqib Raza, the Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA) in…

2 hours ago

Trump Claims 32,000 Killed in Iran Protests

President Trump addressed the Supreme Court's ruling on tariffs in a recent news briefing and…

4 hours ago

Trump Responds to Supreme Court Ruling Against Tariffs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Donald Trump's attempt to wield sweeping tariffs under the 1977 International Emergency…

4 hours ago