Advertisement
Categories: NewsPakistanWorld

US Announces Initiative to Escort Ships from Strait of Hormuz

Advertisement

US President Donald Trump announced a new initiative, Project Freedom, on Sunday to escort stranded vessels out of the Strait of Hormuz starting Monday. The move aims to assist neutral countries whose ships have been caught in the conflict, according to Trump.

Trump expressed dissatisfaction with Iran’s proposals and warned that any interference with the operation would be met with force. Meanwhile, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) hardened their stance, telling the US president to choose between “impossible” strikes or a “bad deal”.

Several countries have approached Washington seeking help to free ships locked up in the strategic waterway, despite having nothing to do with the regional dispute. Trump said the United States would guide these ships safely out of restricted waters and resume normal commercial activity.

The initiative is meant to assist people, companies, and countries that have done nothing wrong, he added. If interference occurs, it will be dealt with forcefully due to concerns over food and essential supplies running low for crews.

Trump described the effort as a humanitarian gesture on behalf of the US and Middle Eastern countries, particularly Iran. He said his representatives were engaged in positive discussions with Tehran that could lead to something positive for all.

The development comes amid continued instability in and around the Strait of Hormuz, a key global shipping route where tensions have disrupted maritime traffic and raised concerns over supply chains and regional security.

Earlier, Tehran warned Washington it faced a choice between an “impossible” military operation or a “bad deal”. Iran’s Tasnim and Fars news agencies reported that Tehran had submitted a 14-point proposal through Pakistan. Trump cast doubt on its viability, reiterating that renewed strikes remain a possibility.

Despite the ceasefire entering its fourth week, rhetoric has intensified. The IRGC reiterated that Trump must choose between an “impossible operation” or a “bad deal”. Both sides have hardened their positions, leaving the path forward uncertain and exposing the limits of both military pressure and diplomacy.

Observers say backchannel diplomacy remains active, with the coming week seen as potentially significant. A possible diplomatic window is also being viewed ahead of Trump’s planned visit to Beijing later this month. Pakistan continues to play a key mediating role, according to Iran’s Ambassador to Pakistan.

Iranian state media reported that Tehran’s proposal calls for resolving all issues within 30 days rather than extending the ceasefire. It includes guarantees against renewed attacks, withdrawal of US forces, lifting of the naval blockade, restoration of frozen assets, compensation for damages, removal of sanctions, and an end to hostilities across all fronts.

In a late-night post, Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said the US response had been received through Pakistan and was under review.

Advertisement
News Desk

Recent Posts

Phil Collins Shares Positive Health Update, Open to Future Performances

Phil Collins shared positive health update in interview on BBC Breakfast. Collins is feeling much…

9 minutes ago

Shark Kills Spearfisher in Australia, Second Fatal Attack This Week

A man spearfishing with friends was killed by a shark on the Great Barrier Reef…

56 minutes ago

Fawad Chaudhry Supports New Provinces Amid Structural Reforms

Former federal minister Fawad Chaudhry has expressed support for the creation of new provinces in…

1 hour ago

Nawaz Sharif Condemns Chaman Blast as Nation’s Wound

Former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif Condemns Chaman Blast Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned…

2 hours ago

Katie Price Shares Late-Night Posts as Husband Lee Andrews Unaccounted in Dubai Disappearance

Katie Price's Instagram posts reveal emotional turmoil over husband Lee Andrews' disappearance in Dubai. "Lee…

2 hours ago

Ahsan Iqbal Highlights Strong Pakistan-China Political Consensus

Federal Minister Ahsan Iqbal stated at the China-Pakistan Political Parties Forum that relations between Pakistan…

3 hours ago