Advertisement
Categories: NewsWorld

US-Iran Talks Pushed Back Amid Stalled Drone Incident

Advertisement

World

US-Iran Talks ‘Still Scheduled’ After Drone Incident: White House

White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt told Fox News that US envoy Steve Witkoff is still expected to have conversations with the Iranians late this week, despite the incident.

A US fighter jet shot down an Iranian drone that approached an American aircraft carrier in the Middle East on Tuesday (Feb 3), Washington announced. Renewed tensions in the region overshadow plans for nuclear talks between the United States and Iran, which have been agreed to after US President Donald Trump repeatedly threatened military action and Iran warned of retaliatory strikes.

The downing of the drone was the second incident involving the two nations in the Middle Eastern waters on the same day. Previously, Iranian forces attempted to detain a US-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz. Washington and Tehran have agreed to talks, but Trump has refused to rule out military action, while Pezeshkian insisted that they would only proceed if free from threats.

The United States bombed Iran’s nuclear sites last summer and sent a naval battlegroup back to the region following Iran’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests. Negotiations are now scheduled for Friday but Trump has not committed to their occurrence, citing concerns about possible threats.

“An F-35C fighter jet from Abraham Lincoln shot down the Iranian drone in self-defence,” Central Command spokesman Captain Tim Hawkins said in a statement. The aircraft carrier was dispatched to the Arabian Sea last month amid a buildup of American forces.

US outlet Axios reported that Iran wanted the venue moved to Oman, while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Witkoff in Jerusalem that Iran “cannot be trusted,” according to his office’s statement. Tehran opposes the United States’ nuclear program and claims it is for civilian research purposes, but US officials believe Iran aims to acquire nuclear weapons.

Tens of thousands have been arrested in connection with anti-government protests across Iran since December. The Iranian government has acknowledged more than 3,000 deaths during the unrest but insists most were security forces members or civilians killed by protesters. NGOs report at least 6,854 deaths, mostly protesters killed by authorities, while other rights groups suggest a much higher number.

On Tuesday, Human Rights Activists News Agency confirmed that at least 50,235 arrests have been made related to the protests and that further detentions are ongoing.

Advertisement
News Desk

Recent Posts

NEVO Is Next: Master Changan Continues Bringing Changan’s Global House of Brands to Pakistan

Master Changan Motors Limited (MCML), Pakistan’s No.1 new entrant and leading Chinese automotive brand, is…

6 hours ago

IFC and Bank Alfalah Partner on Pakistan’s First Diversified Payment Rights Issuance, Marking a Key Milestone in the Development of Pakistan’s Debt Capital Market

The International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Bank Alfalah Limited have signed a Project Agreement marking…

7 hours ago

Meezan Bank Opens its First Round-the Clock Assisted Service Center

Meezan Bank, Pakistan’s premier Islamic bank, has inaugurated its first Service Center at Clifton Bridge,…

8 hours ago

Tax Changes Reset Pakistan’s Hybrid SUV Pricing as Chery Pushes Aggressive Value Play

KARACHI: Pakistan’s hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicle market is entering a sharper phase of price…

2 days ago

AKUH Receives Third Consecutive International Platinum Award for Heart Attack Care

The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH) has received its third consecutive Platinum Performance Achievement Award…

2 days ago

Bank Alfalah and WWF-Pakistan Mark Pakistan’s Independence Day with Alfa Forest Mangrove Plantation Drive

To commemorate Pakistan's Independence Day, Bank Alfalah, one of Pakistan's leading commercial banks, partnered with…

1 week ago