Advertisement

Hamas calls on Iran to halt attacks on neighbors

Advertisement

Hamas issued a poignant appeal to Tehran Saturday, urging it to refrain from targeting neighboring countries despite asserting the Islamic Republic’s right to counter aggression by Israel and the United States.

The group’s statement came as Hamas continued its public condemnation of ongoing hostilities in the Middle East, which had commenced on February 28. In an unexpected turn, Hamas also appealed directly to the international community for a swift cessation of the conflict.

In their statement, Hamas declared that while Iran has the right to defend itself according to international norms and laws, they called on Iranian citizens to avoid harming their neighbors. “While supporting the Islamic Republic’s ability to respond to this aggression through all available means,” said Hamas, “we implore our brothers in Tehran to remain within boundaries of peace.”

This marked Hamas’ first public plea for restraint from Iran since the war’s inception. The group previously condemned the assassination of Ali Khamenei as a grave act against international norms and called upon his son Mojtaba to shoulder leadership responsibilities.

Hamas also highlighted their longstanding support for the Iranian regime, acknowledging that Ayatollah Khamenei had provided critical political, diplomatic, and military backing to their cause. As Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth revealed on Friday that the new supreme leader had sustained injuries, this further underscored Hamas’s connections with Iran amidst ongoing conflict.

The call to action extended beyond just inter-Arab tensions; Hamas also reached out to several nations including Qatar, Turkey, and Iraq for assistance in mediating a resolution. “The Israeli occupation is trying to sow discord between Iran and its neighbors,” said an anonymous Hamas representative, alluding to the region’s complex geopolitics.

In contrast, Iran has engaged in retaliatory strikes against at least ten countries since the war began. Qatar intercepted two missiles Saturday following explosions heard in Doha, with authorities evacuating certain areas for precautionary reasons. The U.S. Embassy in Qatar maintained shelter-in-place status for all remaining emergency personnel as a precautionary measure.

Hezbollah’s intervention has intensified the conflict by firing hundreds of rockets at Israel, leading to significant casualties on both sides. Lebanon alone reported nearly 800 deaths from Israeli strikes while Iran and surrounding regions have seen over 1,200 fatalities attributed to the war’s progression.

Since February 28, at least thirteen U.S. service members have died in the escalating conflict, highlighting the severe repercussions of this protracted battle. As tensions continue to escalate, all parties involved are facing intense scrutiny for their roles and responses within the current crisis.

Advertisement
News Desk

Recent Posts

Paul Rudd Commends Nick Jonas’ Acting in Power Ballad

Paul Rudd Discusses Nick Jonas' Acting in Upcoming Movie In an exclusive interview with People…

1 hour ago

Netflix Drops MJ Docuseries as Biopic Runs in Theatres

A new docuseries on Netflix titled 'Michael Jackson: The Verdict' is set to release on…

2 hours ago

U.K. Spy Plane Dangerously Intercepted by Russian Jets Over Black Sea, Says Defense Ministry

Russian Jets Intercept British Surveillance Aircraft Two Russian jets repeatedly and dangerously intercepted a British…

3 hours ago

‘The Boys’ Creator Defends Series Amid Backlash: ‘No Show Is Perfect’

The hit series "The Boys" has had a long-standing reputation for critical acclaim and pop…

3 hours ago

China Confirms Purchase of 200 Boeing Jets from US

China's Ministry of Commerce announced on Wednesday that airlines in China will purchase 200 aircraft…

3 hours ago

U.S. Indicts Raúl Castro & 5 Others in Florida Grand Jury

Former Cuban leader Raúl Castro indicted by US grand jury in Florida A U.S. grand…

4 hours ago