French Formula One champion Alain Prost was injured during a violent robbery at his home in Switzerland. Swiss media reported on Saturday that 71-year-old Prost sustained a minor head injury when one of his sons had to open the family safe and assailants fled with its contents.
The Vaud cantonal police force stated on Thursday that a family living in Nyon, northeast of Geneva, was the victim of a robbery. The incident occurred on Tuesday at around 8:30am (0630 GMT). Police declined to give identities of victims or comment on whether it concerned the Prost family.
A statement from the Vaud police force said perpetrators entered the house while occupants were present, threatened them, forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with stolen goods. Despite an extensive search operation, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended.
The cantonal public prosecutor’s office has opened a criminal investigation which is ongoing to try and apprehend the perpetrators. Police involved various units including Vaud cantonal police, Nyon regional police, dog unit, security officers, forensic science unit, customs and border security office, French gendarmerie and a psychological support team for the family.
A Vaud police spokesman said Saturday that investigation was still ongoing but could not reveal whether any arrests had been made. He stated every effort is being made to identify and apprehend the perpetrators of the attack.
There has been an alarming trend over the last year of burglaries in the Lake Geneva region targeting wealthy individuals, often perpetrated by cross-border gangs from neighbouring France. Prost competed in Formula One between 1980 and 1993 with McLaren, Renault, Ferrari and Williams teams, winning world drivers’ championship four times.


